Hotel team members love giving advice to guests visiting NYC! Here at the Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street (incredible room view pictured above!), we have tapped in to the knowledge of our own Tameika Dawkins-Palmer to share her top NYC tips for getting around and great things to do in Midtown Manhattan and beyond:
- Ride-sharing is a great way to get around. Via is an up and coming ride sharing company that is super cheap to use. Guests can also book the Lyft package that the hotel offers
- Be careful around getting taxis on off-peak times, as that is when they are are switching shifts!
- The Subway is super easy to use – download the MTA subway map for up to date information
- Going to the airport? Leave lots of time – La Guardia Airport is currently under construction and traffic to Newark Airport & JFK Airport is busy at all times of the day
- Visit Candytopia – it’s an AWESOME new place to explore with kids (till Nov 15. 2018)
- We love the Double Decker bus tours: try Big Bus Tours or City Top Tours
- Brooklyn Museum continues to grow in popularity, while you are over in the area you can walk the Brooklyn Bridge which is super fun especially in the summer
- For a rainy day- book an Escape The Room, it’s so much fun to do and great for groups
- In the summer, there is a street fair that moves all over the city. Look up when you visit to find out where it is. They have good food, great vendors, music and parades throughout the city
- Bryant Park always has great free events from Movies in the Park to Ice skating in the winter. Book our Holidays in NYC package for discounts on Reserve Skate VIP tickets plus much more!
- Be sure to buy tickets at the TKTS desk in Times Square for Broadway shows as they always have last minute good deals! Or alternatively, go to broadwaytickets.com
- To get to the shopping outlets – go to woodburybus.com
- Try out Dapper – they will pick up your shoes, shine them and redeliver them!
- For shopping in the city, go early to avoid the lines
- Visit the local restaurants that make NYC renowned as a foodie destination. Across from the hotel is Brendan’s specializing in local Irish American food, Arnos for Italian, Keen’s Steakhouse, Rustico for Pizza! Toast Deli around the corner has very good food to take or to eat in.
- For a great rooftop bar visit The Refinery, The Strand or Skylark for a rooftop bar. Try Bluenote for a Jazz Place
- Koreatown is super close and have fun Karaoke Bar, and great food!
- Eataly is huge right now, where Little Italy has festivals & events throughout the year
- Broadway bites in on Broadway in the summer and fall offer a wide range of food outlets to enjoy in the large outdoor seating area in Herald Square
Enjoy all these and more when staying at the Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street
Image: Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street