Looking for an urban escape where nature isn’t far away? Look no further than Fredericton. Nestled along the lower portion of the Saint John River, New Brunswick’s capital is a city where Victorian homes and tree-lined streets pair the best of the urban environment with the natural world. Max out your summer fun at these Fredericton must-see and must-do spots…
FOR OUTDOOR ADVENTURE
- Explore the Saint John River, Canada’s Most Storied River, which just happens to run right through the middle of the city. Rent a canoe, kayak, or paddleboard in the downtown and experience one of Fredericton’s iconic landmarks.
- Weave through 420 hemlock trees that are more than 400 years old in Odell Park, Eastern Canada’s Best Old Growth Forest.
- Head out on a trail network with over 115 km of riverside trails. Rent a bike and experience the amazing craft beer tasting route located along the trails.
- Enjoy a variety of outdoor activities at Mactaquac Provincial Park, a broad woodland and recreation complex located along the scenic Saint John River.
FOR SOME QUALITY R&R…
- What about lounging in a hammock with a cold one in hand?
- Soak up the international masterpieces at the Beaverbrook Art Gallery– including Salvador Dali’s Santiago El Grande which is best viewed from the floor. Summer shows include paintings by emerging artist Noémie DesRoches, Peter Coffman’s photography series Camino, and Stephen Hutchings’ monumental landscapes featured in Landscape Tales.
FOR FUN FESTIVALS…
- Move to the rhythm of the Harvest Jazz & Blues Festival.
- Be a Scot for the weekend at the NB Highland Games Festival in July.
FOR SOMETHING DELISH…
- With 17 local breweries and cideries (with more slated to open), Fredericton’s microbrew sceneis second to none. Best part – many are located along Fredericton’s trail network!
- Hit Queen Street, which was named Canada’s Greatest Street, and waste a sunny afternoon on a Fredericton patio enjoying delicious treats and local brews.
- From pop-up restaurants, cocktail take-overs, and some of the best dining experiences in the city, one of Fredericton’s newest restaurants is all about big city flavours.
FOR FAMILY FUN…
- Choose from more than 20 family fun ideas around the city.
- Get hands-on at Science East, NB’s only science centre, with over 150 creative, hands-on science experiments.
- Play at Kingswood Park, Atlantic Canada’s Largest Family Entertainment Centre with a 45-foot inflatable obstacle course, 21-foot-high play climber, laser tag, bowling, and arcade games.
- Catch the Changing of the Guard Ceremony, outdoor concerts & movies, A Day in a Soldier’s Life, heritage walking tours, outdoor theatre, and much more at the Historic Garrison District.
- Take a step back in time and make a little history of your own at Kings Landing.
FOR A BIT OF QUIRKINESS…
- Go market hopping at Fredericton’s 4 markets: Fredericton Boyce Farmers Market, The Northside Market, The Cultural Market, and the NEW Garrison Night Market.
- Looking for quirky? See the 42-pound frog at the Fredericton Region Museum!
- And did we mention the octagonal outhouse at Kings Landing?
FOR THE BEST INSTAGRAM PICS…
- Bill Thorpe Walking Bridge connects the two sides of the city and is one of the best places to catch a stunning sunset on the Saint John River.
- Carleton Park runs along the North River Front Trail and mirrors the south side green.
- UNB Campus is one of the most beautiful campuses in the country with red brick, ivy-covered Georgian architecture and lush landscaping.