As we say goodbye to 2019, we look forward to kicking off 2020 with a BANG in Ottawa! From free, family-friendly outings, to comedy shows, to chic VIP parties, here are just a few of the many New Year’s Eve events happening in Canada’s capital region on December 31, 2019.
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve, Scottish-style at the 8th annual Hogman-eh! party at Lansdowne’s Aberdeen Pavilion! This family-friendly party features traditional and modern Scottish music, Highland dancing, Scottish food and drink and even fireworks! Hogmanay aims to replicate the excitement of Edinburgh’s world-famous Royal Mile as the clock strikes midnight and we enter the New Year. Admission is free.
- Choose one of two New Year’s Eve celebration options at the newly renovated National Arts Centre. Fancy it up at an elegant party in the Canal Lobby with dinner and dancing to the classic sounds of Big Band Ottawa. Or, go retro with dinner and dancing to 80s DJ music in the Canada Room.
- Love beer? Get your tickets to CRAFT Beer Market’s New Year’s Eve Brewmaster’s Dinner and Dance. The event at this Lansdowne restaurant includes a four-course meal (based on the best dishes from their 2018 Brewmaster’s dinners) with beer pairings, and a live DJ.
- Ring in the new year with burlesque and a BBQ buffet! The Sixth Annual New Years Eve with Capital Tease Burlesque takes place at Fatboys Southern Smokehouse in the ByWard Market area.
- Looking for an upscale, chic event that supports a good cause? Prepare your evening gown or tuxedo for the Ottawa New Year’s Eve Charity Ball taking place at the Ottawa Conference and Event Centre, just east of downtown. Enjoy cocktails, a four-course meal, live music, and a DJ. Plus, participate in live and silent auctions, grand prize raffle and take advantage of on-site childcare. All proceeds benefit charities that support children with autism and special needs.
- Laugh your way into 2020 at the 9th Annual New Year’s Eve Comedy Night at the Shenkman Arts Centre in Orléans. Top Canadian comedians Gilson Lubin, Andrew Chapman and Nour Hadidi have some side-splitting material in store for the celebration.
- The classical music group Ars Nova invites you to An Evening on the Orient Express at the Church of St. Bartholomew in New Edinburgh. This gala includes a reception and silent auction, a concert, dinner, dancing, door prizes and more.
- For a leisurely outing with the family, head just west of Ottawa to Wesley Clover Parks for Magic of Lights, a drive-through holiday light display. Nearly one million LED lights are spread over two kilometres, including a 200-foot light tunnel and large LED displays of your favourite winter characters like snowmen, elves and more. Open daily 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. until Jan. 5, 2019, including Dec. 31, 2019!
- Perspectives Restaurant at the Brookstreet hotel is hosting a special 6-course dinner. Diners can take advantage of special guestroom rates that evening. And their New Year’s day brunch is a great way to continue the celebrations!
- For a chic, swanky and sexy New Year’s Eve experience, head to the Timeless NYE Gala event at the Infinity Convention Centre, south of downtown. Put on your best outfit and enjoy a gourmet dinner, live music, DJs and late-night fun.
- For a more laid-back, family-friendly experience, head 45-minutes south of Ottawa’s downtown to Upper Canada Village. During the Alight at Night festival, the 1860’s heritage village is adorned with nearly one million twinkling lights, horse-drawn wagon rides, a life-size Toy Train that winds its way around the village, and much more. The site is open from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Dec. 31, 2019.
- Ring in 2020, VIP style at the Casino du Lac-Leamy’s Aléa nightclub. Their New Year’s Eve party features tunes by DJ Montana.
- Dance the night away in the Hilton Lac-Leamy ballroom! The 2020 Resolutions event starts at 10:00 p.m. and features deep house & hip-hop with DJs Carl Mürren and Rossvel.
For even more ideas on what to do this New Year’s Eve, consult Ottawa Tourism’s Event Calendar.
Originally Published by Ottawa Tourism