We get it, January might not be the first month that comes to mind when you think about spending a long weekend in greater Philadelphia. But believe us, there are plenty of good reasons to pack a bag, grab your mittens, and stay with Hilton this winter. Below, our top 5 reasons to visit Philadelphia this January.
- Restaurant Week: Center City District’s Restaurant Week will be back from January 12-24, 2020. For the uninitiated, restaurant week is your chance to score a three-course lunch for $20 or three-course dinner for $35 at some of the top spots in the city. Past participants have included Garces establishments Amada, Tinto, and Volver; Starr outposts Buddakan, Butcher and Singer, and The Dandelion; BYOBs Pumpkin BYOB, Melograno BYOB, and many more. Enjoy a leisurely dinner, spend the night at the Embassy Suites Center City or Hilton Philadelphia at Penn’s Landing, and enjoy lunch at a new spot the following day!
- Orchid Extravaganza at Longwood Gardens: While the flowers outside aren’t blooming, beginning on January 18, orchids will overtake Longwood’s Conservatory to create an indoor paradise. Check out their helpful blog posts for a behind-the-scenes look at an orchid trip around the world, and get helpful tips on how to navigate the orchid house. Hilton Garden Inn Kennett Square is 5 minutes from both the Garden and downtown Kennett Square, making it the perfect home base for an overnight stay. Timed admission tickets are required for Orchid Extravaganza, so be sure to purchase in advance.
- Lunar New Year: Philadelphia’s Chinatown is the second-largest on the east coast, and an amazing place to welcome the year of the rat! The festivities kick off with the midnight lion dance in Chinatown on January 24th (Lunar New Year’s Eve!). Beginning on January 25th, various celebrations will be held throughout the city including at the Independence Seaport Museum, Dilworth Park, Dumpling Academy, and more.
- Catch a Game (or Three): With any luck (GO EAGLES!), January is a three-pro-sport month here in Philadelphia. The Flyers are at home January 8, 11, 13, 16, 18, and 21, while the 76ers play at Wells Fargo on January 6, 9, 15, 17, 25, and 28. Major fans can stay at the Doubletree Center City, hop on the Broad Street Line, and catch two games in a long weekend (three if the Eagles come through!)
- Listen to National Geographic: National Geographic just named Philadelphia one of the best trips to take in 2020—one of only TWO American destinations to make the list. What do they have to say about us? We’re “a city of ingenious makers” with “a lot of glimmer” and “a heart of gold.” That sounds about right to us! And with nearly 60 hotels in Philadelphia, Hilton’s your home base for adventure this January.