It’s winter. Do you find yourself dreaming of sun, sandy beaches, delicious cocktails, and the ability to unplug from the every day? It’s time for an escape to somewhere warm. And the good news is traveling to places in the Caribbean and Mexico during the winter is perfect because the weather there is not too hot, not too cold – it’s just right.
Here are three reasons to getaway from the cold winter to a warmer climate.
Sea, Sand, & Sun
Nothing says dream warm weather escape like spending some – or all (who’s really counting) – of your time on the beach. Work on your tan and let time stand still as you relax on white sand beaches and take a dip in the warm Caribbean or coastal Mexican waters of some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. And January is the perfect time to visit because it’s not too hot to spend all of your time outside.
If part of your vacation plan is to make your friends jealous back home, make sure you take a minute to snap some drool-worthy pictures before you put the phone away to just enjoy.
In many cases, you don’t even need to leave the grounds of your Hilton Hotels & Resorts property for a private beach experience. For incredible hotel beaches, check out Hilton Barbados Resort, Caribe Hilton, and the new and ultra-exclusive Waldorf Astoria at Pedregal, which is set into the cliff-side and boasts a pristine private beach.
Not sure where to go to lay out on the beach outside of your hotel? Here are a few of the best beaches for a relaxing swim and sun experience.
- Tequila Cove is one of the few swimmable beaches in Los Cabos, Mexico. While other beaches may be beautiful, strong undertows and unpredictable tides make them unsafe for swimming. The best part? Tequila Cove is steps away from Hilton Los Cabos Beach and Golf Resort so you can roll out of bed and step out onto the beach for the day.
- Crane Beach is the most famous beach in Barbados. With its pink-hued sands, towering cliffs, and natural coral reef wave breaker, it’s perfect for a day at the beach.
- Playa Pelicano is a small beach on the small Isla Caja de Muertos, an island located 8 miles off the coast of Puerto Rico. Reach this small island by ferry or boat for an unforgettable day trip where you can see pelicans and enjoy the calm, clear, aquamarine waters.
Cities & Culture
While the first thing you think of when it comes to a warm destination are the beaches, they are also amazing to explore and take in the local culture. Whether you are walking through colorful streets taking in the architecture, enjoying live entertainment, or learning about the ancient history that so many cities and villages are built around at a local museum or surrounding ruins, there are so many different things to do.
A great example of the rich culture of Puerto Rico is Ponce, a popular destination for travelers who are looking to surround themselves with rich history. With the 19th-century Spanish architecture in the historic downtown area, an array of museums, an historic rum distillery, and a coffee plantation, you can take in the beauty of the city one day and spend it on the beach the next. And the Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort is only 5 minutes away so you can spend your time exploring, not travelling.
In Mexico, Puerto Vallarta has some of Mexico’s best restaurants and experiences for travellers. The Malecon is the road that follows along the edge of the sea and it is where the hustle and bustle is for both locals and tourists. With its street artists, live entertainment during the day and the evening, beautiful views, and small local shops, it really showcases the heart of Mexico. And don’t forget to visit the city’s iconic Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which makes the skyline in Puerto Vallarta truly unique.
Wherever you end up travelling be sure to look for opportunities to learn more about the surrounding areas and the vibrant local culture. If you want the option to stay right in the heart of the action, The Fives Downtown Curio Playa del Carmen is steps away from the beach and Playa del Carmen’s famed Fifth Avenue.
A getaway to Mexico and the Caribbean often means relaxation, but if you want a little bit of adventure, you don’t need to look far. Try your hand at a variety of water sports like surfing, stand up paddle boarding, and boating. Or if you prefer to explore what’s under the water, there is leisurely snorkeling and adrenaline filled diving. The rich vegetation, wildlife, and unique terrain also allow for exciting eco adventures in rainforests and jungles, bioluminescent bays, cave exploring, hiking, waterfalls, and more.
Take your pick of places to go scuba diving and snorkeling to see local marine life and the beauty underneath the water line. There are too many to list here, but if you speak with hotel staff or even the locals when you venture into town, you can be sure to find the best location around where you’re staying.
While you can find adventure wherever you are, here are a few notable unique experiences to check out:
- Pigeon Island National Park in St. Lucia has a rich history dating back to 1550. It is great for hiking, especially if you like to learn about the local history – and enjoy stunning panoramic views as a reward for reaching the end point. Nearby Harbor Club St. Lucia, Curio Collection is the perfect place to relax after a strenuous hike!
- Deep sea fishing in Los Cabos, one of the top five fishing destinations on the planet. Known as the “Marlin Capital of the world”, a good fishing charter will be able to take you to where the fishing is best that day and there are certain times of the year that are best for various species. A few of the different types of fish you could expect to see are Tuna, Snapper, Marlin, and Mahi Mahi.
- Nighttime boat trip to a bioluminescent bay in Puerto Rico showcasing how amazing nature can be. There are only five places in the world where you can see nature “glow in the dark” like this and three of them are in Puerto Rico and active year-round. After your trip to the glowing waters, you can head back to the Hilton Caribe and sip on a Piña Colada, which was invented there in 1954!
- Whale and dolphin watching in Puerto Vallarta with an environmentally responsible tour company between December and March. Catch a glimpse or potentially a full show on any number of whale watching tours. If you’re lucky, you may even see one in the Bay at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort.
Mexico and the Caribbean have a lot to offer if you are looking for a warm weather getaway from the cold winter in Canada. From beach relaxation to high energy eco adventures, there is something for everyone. Looking for something that hardly anyone has ever experienced? Conrad Punta de Mita and Canopy by Hilton are new hotels opening in early 2020 – still in time to escape winter!