Spring has just about sprung, and, as the daffodils and tulips begin to emerge from their bulbs, so too shall we from our winter hibernation at a few of these fun events.
- The 10th Annual Cardboard*Con invites you to make and wear a science-fiction or fantasy cardboard costume, and then roam among downtown hotels and bars. March 2.
- The 20th Annual Art Papers Art Auction features works by 200 artists from around the world, a silent auction and complimentary hors d’oeuvres. March 2.
- The Monster Energy Supercross races off-road motorcycles on dirt tracks with steep jumps, tight corners and obstacles at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. March 2.
- The Pub Crawl on the BeltLine offers you a free drink at five venues, plus food discounts. March 2.
- Americana in the Park brings four bands playing country, rockabilly and rock to Park Tavern in Piedmont Park. March 3.
- The Atlanta Tattoo Arts Convention features live tattooing, sideshows and entertainment at Atlanta Convention Center. March 8 — 10.
- The SuperHero Pub Crawl invites you to dress as a criminal or a crime fighter at four pubs in Virginia Highland. March 9.
- Professional Bull Riders compete to see who can last the longest atop a bucking bull at Infinite Energy Arena. March 9 and 10.
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in style with events like Luckyfest at Park Tavern (March 9); St. Paw-trick’s Day Rescue Dog Olympics (March 10); Lucky Hour (March 15); St Patrick’s Green Mile Block Party (March 15); Atlanta St. Patrick’s Parade (March 16); Downtown Atlanta St. Patrick’s Day Bar Crawl (March 16); Lucky Leprechaun in Buckhead (March 16); Irish Lights Festival (March 16); Paddyfest (March16); Shamrock ‘N Roll Road Race (March 16); St. Patrick’s Day Festival (March 16); St. Patrick’s Day Outdoor Festival (March 16 and 17); Irish Stroll in Midtown (March 17); and Kegs and Eggs in Virginia Highland (March 17).
- The Atlanta Science Festival features hands-on activities, performances, presentations and facility tours at 30 venues to celebrate local science and technology. March 9 — 23.
- The 6th Annual Doggie Dash invites participants (with and without dogs) to experience Piedmont Park alongside four-legged friends to benefit the Piedmont Park Dog Parks. March 10.
- TEDxAtlanta brings brilliant speakers to the Rialto Center for the Arts to discuss progress and innovation. March 15.
- The Chocolate and Art Show features artists, live body painting, live music, face-painting and free chocolate at The B Complex. March 15 and 16.
- The Atlanta Marathon & Half Marathon plus 5K invites you to run past Atlanta’s most iconic sites, beginning and ending in Centennial Olympic Park. March 17.
- The Atlanta International Auto Show brings hundreds of new cars, light trucks, vans and sports utility vehicles to Georgia World Congress Center. March 20 — 24.
- The Tony Award-winning musical Jersey Boys tells the rags-to-riches story of young Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons live at the Fox Theatre. March 22 — 24.
- Tour of Kitchens is a self-guided visit to several residential kitchens created by celebrated kitchen designers. March 23 and 24.
- Inman Park Restaurant Week offers special deals on three-course fixed-price meals at 15 restaurants in that neighborhood. March 25 — 31.
- The Atlanta Pancakes & Booze Art Show features a traveling exhibition of 100 artists, pancakes, live music, body painting and multimedia displays at Georgia Freight Depot. March 29.
- STEAM Wars (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) has hands-on activities, robots and drones, presentations, a college and career fair, video game design, and app and website-making events at Atlanta Technical College. March 30.
- Indie Craft Experience Spring Market is an artist’s market selling vintage clothing, jewelry, furniture, decor and home goods at Yaarab Shrine. March 31.
- Train on the Turf at Chick-fil-A College Football Hall of Fame offers an hour long drill-inspired workout, led by Bryan Jean-Pierre, Atlanta Fitness Trainer and owner of MiscFit in Buckhead. Bryan was voted the 2018 Best Personal Trainer in Atlanta by Jezebel Magazine. March 31.
Itching to get outside after a long winter indoors? Stretch your legs here:
- The Eastside Trail of the Atlanta BeltLine
- Indoor rock climbing at Atlanta Rocks!, Wall Crawler Wall Club, and Stone Summit Climbing & Fitness Center
- Atlanta Botanical Garden
- Hiking trails at Cascade Springs Nature Preserve, Freedom Park trail, Proctor Creek Greenway and even Doll’s Head Trail
March is the beginning of festival season in Atlanta. Here are a few to get you started, but there are plenty more throughout the month:
- The Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival bring 60 beers and 40 bourbon samples to Atlantic Station, plus barbecue and live music. March 2.
- The Atlanta Jewish Music Festival includes jazz, sacred, folk, orchestral and rock ’n’ roll music. March 7 — 16.
- The Atlanta Brunch Festival brings tasty bites and beverages from dozens of restaurants, plus music from a pop tribute band, to Atlantic Station. March 9.
- Brookhaven Cherry Blossom Festival has arts and crafts vendors, family activities, live music, a Saturday car show and a Sunday pet parade and costume contest at Blackburn Park. March 30 and 31.
Beth Clark is a writer and foodie who loves to roam around Atlanta, uncovering the city’s quirky, glam, upscale and down-home character. Curiosity is her compass, and you’ll find her writing on www.thecitydweller.me.