As a UNESCO City of Creative Gastronomy, San Antonio offers a myriad of delicious restaurants and unique bars to choose from – not to mention the sights, theaters and museums. To help you narrow it down, we’ve selected a few of our favorite spots to visit before dinner, for dinner, and to wrap-up with after dinner drinks for the perfect date night in Alamo City!
- Happy Hour at Cured: Located just north of downtown, Cured at Pearl is known for its house-cured meats and exceptional service. It offers both indoor and outdoor seating, and with fall right around the corner and cooler weather on its way, we’d recommend dining outside where you can enjoy the Pearl’s vibrant atmosphere. Happy Hour is available from 3 – 6 PM Monday – Saturday, with half-priced house cocktails and select beers. We’d recommend trying their namesake cocktail, “Cured,” or a “Marfa Lights Out” if you’re into mezcal.
- Walk Along the Riverwalk: With an expansive reach through downtown and surrounding areas, the San Antonio Riverwalk showcases beautiful landscape and unique sights in the city. Start your stroll near the hotel (if staying downtown), and head up towards the Museum Reach for serene scenes to paint a romantic backdrop as your evening begins.
- Live Theatre: From the Majestic and Empire to the Tobin Center to the Aztec and many more, San Antonio has no shortage of live performances. Check out the schedules to catch an early show before dinner or plan an early dinner to visit the theatre afterwards.
- Tre Trattoria: Located at the San Antonio Museum of Art, Tre Trattoria by Chef Jason Dady brings Tuscan Italian fare to Downtown San Antonio. Nestled just above the Museum Reach of the Riverwalk, Tre Trattoria offers shaded dining on the outdoor patio or seating inside of the historic Beretta Hops House. Menu options include a variety of fresh antipasti, of which we’d recommend the White Truffle Oil Deviled Eggs and Roasted Golden Beets, as well as made-to-order cast iron pizzas and house-made pasta. Our current favorites are the Braised Texas Wild Boar Ragu, “Crispy Skin” Rainbow Trout and Pan Seared Potato Gnocchi with a side of Texas Summer Squash and Sweet Corn Risotto. Don’t forget to save room for a Nutella X 3 dessert before you leave!
- Range: Located inside of the Embassy Suites Riverwalk, Range is ideal if you want to stay downtown all evening. A modern American chophouse by Chef Jason Dady, Range pays tribute to the Lone Star State’s rich ranching and farming heritage. You can dine inside or out on the patio, above the River on Houston Street. We’d recommend starting with the South Texas Beef Tartare Parisa and some fresh oysters. Choose one of the house-made pastas to split as a hearty companion to a Market Salad before a main course selection of Ribeye, Pan Roasted Ora King Salmon, or anything that looks good to you. The sides are all family-style, so you’ll have more than enough to share! Conclude with a Banana Split or Mississippi Mud Pie and, of course, their complimentary signature blue cotton candy.
After Dinner Drinks
- The Modernist: One of San Antonio’s best kept secrets is the Modernist: a little house on E. Grayson Street, next door to the Shuck Shack and across the street from Alamo BBQ Co. The lack of signage may seem confusing, but we promise it’s worth the hunt. The bar offers no menu; instead, tell the bartenders what you enjoy drinking and flavor profiles you’re wanting (example: I usually ask for something with gin, citrus, and slightly sweet. It always comes out delicious!). Because the house is small, they often have a wait (especially on weekends), so order a drink at the tiki bar in the backyard and relax until your name is called.
- Still Golden Social House: Looking for something a little more casual? Slide into the crowded bar at Still Golden Social House. With an expansive beer list, intriguing boilermaker combinations and excellent cocktails, Still Golden is a go-to for many locals. You can find sports games playing on the TV’s, a DJ some evenings, and standing-room only on the weekends.
If you’re looking to turn date night into a weekend staycation or getaway, visit travel.hilton.com/san-antonio for more to do and a list of hotels in the area.